JOB POSITION: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The Mandela Bay Development Agency (MBDA) is a public sector, municipal owned and not-for-profit organization whose mandate is to facilitate socio-economic development in the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan municipal area.
Working in partnership with the private sector, innovation institutions, civil society, national and provincial spheres of government, the MBDA brings value to the entire municipality by embarking on inner cit regeneration and urban renewal projects initiatives that positively impact on job creation activities.
The CEO of MBDA reports to an independent Board of Directors which over the past ten years has invested public funds in the Central Business District and other emerging nodes ( such as townships ) in Nelson Mandela Bay which comprises of Port Elizabeth, Uitenhage and Despatch.
This mandate has recently also been extended by the parent municipality to include the management and operation of strategic municipal facilities such as the NMB multi-purpose stadium.
Purpose of the position of Chief Executive Officer:
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will position the MBDA to meet its mandate in support of the municipality’s development imperatives and strategies in the sectors targeted for development, and as stipulated in the IDP. He / she will assume all responsibilities of the Accounting Officer in terms of relevant legislation and policy, especially the Municipal Finance Management Act (MFMA).
The CEO will direct, lead and manage the staff and ensure provision of the resources required for effective functioning, on-going transformation, growth and sustainability of MBDA in the short and longer term.
Key operations and management deliverables and requirements are:
1. to ensure that the strategic direction, financial administration and commercial functions of the MBDA are
sound, in order to effectively fulfil the overall development mandate of the MBDA.
2. provide strategic leadership, coordination capacity, and analytical and negotiating skills to promote investment, establish and communicate shared development visions, and prepare a pipeline of implementation-ready property developments and capital works projects.
3. develop, manage and maintain strong stakeholder relationships whose outcome is a productive
relationship between the private and public sector, with a strong reliance of co-operation from civil society and innovation institutions.
4. strengthen the MBDA staff team, oversee and manage the sustaining of a continuous programme of training and development for management and staff in order to advance with changing times and technology, and thus ensure the on-going professional delivery of developments.
5. lead the preparation of the annual business plan and 3-year budget cycle process in line with the MBDA and parent municipality objectives as well as the City’s growth and development strategy and ensure that these plans are approved and funded.
6. report and communicate all activities and developments to the Board and the parent municipality as periodically required, through formal reports in line with relevant legislation and organisational policy prescripts.
A relevant higher education degree, preferably at post graduate level.
Ten (10) years Senior
Management experience and proven track record as a successful executive; able to drive and advocate transformational change.
Able to demonstrate leadership, management of strategic partnerships and stakeholder relationship management.
Knowledge and experience in project management with future cities theory and urban design being an added advantage.
Experience in relation to economic and enterprise / SMME development and economic policy frameworks.
A thorough understanding of corporate governance, financial management, risk management and performance management principles.
An understanding of the South African government structures, Economic Policy Framework and Strategies. Experience in the Public Sector will be an advantage.
Experience in economic and enterprise development activities.
Possess excellent communication and public speaking skills.
Salary package will be commensurate with experience and relevant tertiary qualifications and aligned to the Agency’s TASK grading system.
Applications with detailed curriculum vitae, certified qualification and at least five (5) references can be posted to Human Resources Officer, P.O. Box 74, Port Elizabeth, 6000 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLOSING DATE: Monday 20 February 2017 @ 16h00
The successful candidate will be required to sign a fixed term employment contract and performance agreement; disclose his/her financial interests and undergo pre-employment screening, security vetting and competency assessments as part of the recruitment process.
The successful candidate will also be required to complete, within a reasonable period of time, the mandatory minimum competency level requirements for senior managers in municipal entities as stipulated in the regulations as issued by National Treasury (government gazette 29967).
The MBDA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the Employment Equity Act (55 of 1998).
Previously disadvantaged individuals and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If no reply to your application is received within sixty (60) days from date of closing, please consider your application as being unsuccessful. For further information, visit www.mbda.co.za.